Thursday 1 November 2012

A STORY OF A TAMANG GUY FROM BHUTAN

From academia to monkhood

Lhawang Dorji Tamang: Coinciding with the first sermon of Lord Buddha, Lhawang Dorji Tamang, 24, who recently graduated from Sherubtse College, with a double Degree in Bachelors of Environmental Science and English, joined the Thubten Choekhoring Shedra in Kanglung Zangdo Pelri as a monk.

The shedra’s principal Khenpo Karma Randol enrolled him into the monk body with a scarf.

From Daifam, Samdrupjongkhar,Bhutan- Lhawang Dorji Tamang said he had always wanted to become a monk, but his parents wanted him to complete his studies. “So to fulfill my parents’ wish I completed my studies,” he said. “I’m happy that I’ve fulfilled my parents’ wish as well as mine.”

When he changed his dress and shaved his head, he said, he felt as if he was enlightened.

Principal Khenpo Karma Randol said Lhawang Dorji Tamang’s decision would set a good example, especially to the youth. He said, Lhawang would have to study from zinda dangpa (class one) and Rigzhung, and teach English to the other monks.

No comments:

Post a Comment